In the latest edition of our monthly news brief, JLL’s regional team curates the top commercial real estate industry articles impacting Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh’s 1600 Smallman to be Transformed into One of a Kind ‘Industrial Chic’ Space
Developers of 1600 Smallman, located on the west end of the Strip District, are gearing up to transform the space into a true, first of its kind office in the Pittsburgh submarket. Formerly an industrial warehouse space, developers plan to take the vintage charm of the space and update it with modern amenities.
The building once sat vacant for 40 years, but will now undergo renovations, including:
- An attached parking garage
- Bike racks and storage
- Loft-style offices
- Energy efficiency improvements
- Two rooftop decks
- Mechanical improvements, including elevator updates
Developers will keep the pine floors, exposed brick and floor-to-ceiling windows to capture the industrial feel of the space. The redevelopment of the space follows a larger trend of users—especially young professionals—seeking more open, creative workspaces.
More Pittsburgh Headlines
- Westinghouse recently announced it is putting up a portion of its headquarters office space for sublease—315,000 square feet to be exact. The space is split between Building Two and Three, and also includes signage opportunities on the property.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins plan to begin construction on 935 residential units at the former Civic Arena site next November. With construction beginning next year, developers expect to complete the first 255 units by November 2020.
Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons